Saturday, January 6, 2018

Ottolenghi's Banana Walnut Cake


Just before Christmas, I baked this banana walnut cake from Ottolenghi's Sweet cookbook.  It was meant to be baked as several small loaves, but I made it as one big cake instead.


The resulting cake was pretty flat because I obviously used a tin  that was too big - a hazard when you don't use the tin specified in the recipe.

The end product was quite dense and closer to a US "bread" than a traditional cake but was very tasty. It definitely benefitted from some butter on top to serve though as it added a bit of moisture.

I won't share the recipe as Ottolenghi has been quite generous in sharing various recipes from Sweet, and this isn't one of them. If you like baking, I would urge you to buy the book - it's a good one, with a large number of recipes that are different to what you will find in a standard baking time. If you need convincing, just search for the recipes from Sweet that have been posted online in various newspaper promotional articles - you will be pleasantly surprised.

6 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Sounds like an interesting recipe. I've heard good things about this book :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I have a feeling I'd love a big slice for breakfast smeared with butter. I think I need this cookbook!

Kari said...

I love how versatile banana cakes and breads can be. I think I prefer the bready ones so this sounds great.

2paw said...

Always a trap when you use a different tin, it looks yummy smeared with butter!!

The Happy Whisk said...

Yummmmmmy!

Johanna GGG said...

it sounds good to me - I'd love to browse a copy even if I am not sure I need a copy